The appeal of a sunny, warm holiday along our coastline is stronger than ever. So how do we make the most of local beach travel opportunities? Australia’s pioneer disability equipment and car insurance specialist, Blue Badge Insurance, provides these great tips.
1. Understand your needs, research accordingly
Obviously accommodation needs to be accessible, as do sightseeing and toileting stops. Similarly, your visits to the coastline. Although accessible beaches are becoming increasingly common, some areas are much better than others. Visit websites like Travel Without Limits and Accessible Beaches to build a list of beaches providing enjoyable access.
2. Plan your movements
Once you’ve got an understanding of where you’ll stop and for how long, plan a clever route. Which stops do you really need to make and what other planning will help you avoid high traffic areas (e.g. advance book an online grocery order to arrive at your accommodation).
3. Call ahead about accessibility equipment
You may want to hire beachgoing equipment like an all-terrain wheelchair (or even a floating wheelchair!) and beach mat from a supplier near home or at your holiday location. First, check in with your destination’s local councils; they may hire these out. Some beaches even have permanent beach matting. Importantly, remember to book well in advance to get in before other holiday planners.
4. Stay COVID safe
Follow hygiene guidelines wherever you go: wear a mask, wash hands, stay 1.5m from others and don’t touch anything unless necessary. Perhaps set a regular timer to sanitise yourself, your WAV steering wheel and your wheelchair, depending on stops you’ve made.
5. Get the right WAV and wheelchair protection
Approach your trip with greater confidence by securing optimum protection for your WAV and wheelchair. Some key benefits of using Blue Badge Insurance are:
- Up to $150 a day for a hire car (enough for a rental WAV) if your vehicle’s in an accident or stolen, for up to 28 days
- $5,000 in assistive technology insurance coverage if it’s damaged in a car accident
- Legal liability for personal injury and property damage your chair may accidentally cause in holiday crowds
- Knowledgeable service from disability insurance experts who’ll action your insurance claim quickly
6. Enjoy your efforts
Preparation is key to making the most of the coast. Plan well so you’ve much more time to enjoy!
Visit www.bluebadgeinsurance.com.au/ or call 1300 304 802.
This feature first appeared in Travel Without Limits magazine. You can subscribe here.